Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Couch is Dry, Anyway

I don't recall ever really having a problem with bed wetting when I was a toddler or preschooler. I still vividly recall, however the time a friend slept over in the 3rd grade and I wet the hide-a-bed we were sharing. "Do you feel that?" "Yeah." "Sorry." "It's ok." I never got teased about it at school, so he obviously kept it a secret.
Colter shares one particular "gene" with his mom, and that's their uncanny ability to sleep through a tornado blowing through or a semi driving through the bedroom. Last night Colter had a couple of glasses of milk with supper and dessert. I made sure he went to the bathroom a couple of times before bed at 8:30. Around midnight as I was headed to bed I seriously thought about waking him so he could go again, but decided he was probably ok. My bad.
My sweet, sweet son let me sleep until almost 8:30. I didn't hear anything from him when I was laying bed, so I thought maybe he was actually sleeping in himself! I went out into the living room and there he was playing with his dinosaurs.
He looked up at me and said, "Guess what? I slept on the couch, because my bed was uncomfortable."
"What do you mean, it was uncomfortable?" At that point, I realized he wasn't wearing any pjs. He had gotten a t-shirt out of his little dresser (which is in my closet) and a pair of sweatpants.
"My bed had a little wet spot on it."
He was exaggerating. Barely wet, but enough to wake him and make him go change his clothes in the middle of the night, and grab a blanket and his friends and go sleep on the couch for the rest of the night.
I'm beginning to wonder if he's old enough to move out on his own and get a job to support himself through MSU next year?

No comments: