Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Happy Bir------- Oh, Wait...

Many of you know what I do for a living and some know that it entails essentially being on call 24 hours a day, much like a doctor. Even if no one is at the stations, if there's a problem, the computer will call me to tell me one of the transmitters is off air, or even if there's a problem with readings. My ears are very sensitive to the phone, no matter how deep a sleep I'm in.
Not more than 10 minutes ago, the phone rang and woke me from one of those mid-snooze-button naps you only have nine minutes to cram in. I looked at the cell, it was my Mom. She and her husband are on the road in their RV. A call at 7:14am from someone who's retired and rarely gets up before 9, can't be good.

Froggy says, "Hello?"

Much joyous singing flows through the tinny earpice, "Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday to you...are you guys up yet?" she asked with way too much cheer for this early in the morning.

"Thanks, mom." I said kindly, then went into the facts. "Well first of all, Colter's not with me, and second of all, aren't you a little early?"

"What day is it?"

"As far as I know it's only the 30th. I mean, thanks for the sentiment, and all..."

Hollering back to her husband, "Jim, dammit, you told me the clock said it was the 31st!"

"Jeezus, Mom....my own mother!"

Then I hear Jim in the background say, "Well, he'll get another one just like it in the morning, tomorrow."

"Okay, I'll call you again in the morning. Go back to sleep now!" *click*

One advantage to being retired. No need to know what day it actually is, I guess. Or a good sign that your vacation trip is going well, too.

Thanks, Mom. Love you. Talk to you again...tomorrow.

No comments: