Monday, August 22, 2005

Hershey, Nov. 1989 - Aug. 2005



I'm trying as hard as I can not to make those one of those maudlin pet obits that women in the suburbs seem to love to write so much, especially ones who never had any family of their own and you just know that they'll be found on the couch amidst piles of cat filth...

I had to take Hershey to the vet today. He left us just short of 16 years. One way to think of how long he was with Jennfier and I is that she got him just before she joined me in Sidney, Montana in March of 1990. That means Hershey's been from Minneapolis, to Sidney, Bismarck, Bozeman and back to Minneapolis again. I took this picture of Hershey this morning. I tried to get him and Colter together, but it was no go. His kidneys were failing him and he never really got used to his new playmate, Colter. He started to take it out on Colter a little lately and took to not just peeing in his room, but on his books, shoes and a few other things that were left accidentally laying about. Already weird not having him here.

Hershey: November, 1989-August 2005

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart is heavy today mon petit ami. I'll miss you.

Anonymous said...

I am so very, very sorry about Hersh. He was a real "big" cat, and among the coolest ever. I know you're hurting, my friends, and I hurt for you. We'll just have to be patient 'til we're reunited with all our animal friends again Up There. Love - Stace