Sunday, August 24, 2008

Why I Should't Always Drive Alone

I finally made a trip to Bannack. Bannack is a well-preserved ghost town in Montana. In fact, it was Montana's first territorial capital. It was a two hour drive, and took about two hours to tour the town. Then, faced with so much time on my hands, I decided I should probably drive to Idaho. I went south of Bannack to Lemhi Pass. I went over the pass and came into Idaho about 19 miles south of Salmon. From there it was a short 140 miles back to my campsite, up over and around the Chief Joseph Pass, back into Montana, past The Big Hole National Battlefield (which I would have stopped at--again, if it weren't already 8:00pm), through the Big Hole Watershed and back to my campsite. Only about a 180 mile trip over three mountain passes. But worth every minute. My pictures from Bannack are in the slideshow below, or you can find them here.

No comments: