Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I May Have Lost A Facebook Friend...And Jimmy Cracked Corn

I've been going back and forth the last two days with a friend of mine on Facebook about sending my Twitter feed to Facebook. Every time I post on Twitter (provided it's not an @ reply to someone), it goes to Facebook as a status update. I've made no bones about who I will and who I won't "friend" on Facebook. Of the 66 I do follow, only 17 aren't on Twitter (that I know of). Those 17 likely have no clue about Twitter, and in fact a few pointed that out. On the other hand, one of my friends did join Twitter and seems to be enjoying it now!

Twitter is a great way to just say what's on your mind. Little thought bubbles that now have a way to escape. At least, that's what it's like for me. I've always had these little non-sequiters floating around in my brain, but until last year, they simply died after a quiet little giggle right after I thought of them.

Yesterday, I was apprently a little too prolific. I had 16 posts go from Twitter to Facebook. One of them was about a service called Twibes which allows you to promote up to 10 of your Twitter friends. I commented that it's a good way to piss off all but 10 of your followers. The comment I got on Facebook was: 
Another good way to piss off your friends is to update your status every 5 minutes so you can't read anyone else's.
Another friend thought it was a funny comment and I agreed:
If you're kidding, then it was funny. If you're mad, (name), there is an "off" button on your feed. ;-)
I thought nothing more of it and even made this post in jest on Twitter last night:
Got chastised earlier on Facebook because I tweet too much. Try the "off" button. Just like on your TV. Good Night, (name)! :D
Was I picking on (name)? Maybe. Was it a little immature? Likely. Do I care. Not at all. Especially after I got this response a short while ago:
Grow up. Sorry, no one cares or wants to know what you are doing every second of your life. Oooh, you ran out of detergent....oooh you made chicken, etc etc, how exciting!
That in a nutshell, is what I think the difference between Facebook people who aren't on Twitter and those who are. I don't write what I write on Twitter thinking about anyone else's opinon. Hell, I just go blocked by a writer for the Minneapolis Star Tribune, who's political opinions are the opposite of mine, because I called Fox News a bunch of worthless fucks over a piece they did on the Canadian Military.

My reply this morning to my friend was:
(name), that's my point about the off (or mute) button. It's ok you feel that way, doesn't offend me, and I can understand. But remember, you have the choice to not follow me. It's not a question of "growing up" it's a question of if I want to stop sending my Tweets to Facebook, and frankly, I don't. I don't know how many of the friends I have on FB may have stopped following me because of the Twitter feed, but frankly, I don't care. I do this for myself, to entertain myself, if you will, and not to please or or displease anyone else. Like I said, you have your opinion, and I certainly respect it. I have stopped following some people on both Twitter and Facebook because I either didn't like what they were saying or how much or even how little they posted, and you have that right as well.
Remember, you have the choice. Follow me, don't follow me, read my posts, don't read my posts. I don't care. I'll listen to what you have to say, I'll think about it if it has merit. But remember, it's still my feed, and if I want to talk to the grapes in my fridge, by god, I'm gonna do it whether you like it or not!

What do you think?

No comments: