Thursday, April 19, 2007

Can You See It?

This is one of those pictures where you're just going to have to take my word for it.

In the Chronicle on Friday, they had a story about how the grizzlies were starting to wake up in the park, and since we had since quite a few in the area I was driving through, I had my hopes up to catch sight of one of those big beasties. No luck on the bears, but once again, terrific luck with wolves. Got to see and hear two different packs.
The Slough Creek pack was singing like you wouldn't believe. There's no sound in all of nature like a wolf pack howling. At the time, this was the only one that could be seen. There were a few more just behind the rise that's out of frame. With a spotting scope, this black one was plain as day, and I could see him pretty well with my binoculars. The camera is another story, however. This is not only zoomed in all the way (a 12x zoom), but I cropped it, too. Just below the tree in the middle of the pic, is the black wolf we could see in the scopes. They howled for about a half-hour before they started wandering off.

On my way back from Cooke City, I found out there was a kill that I had just missed on my way through, that morning. The Druid Peak pack had taken down an elk about 8:30am. It was far enough from the road that scopes were needed, but close enough that quite a few people were able to watch the whole thing go down. By the time I got to the area, the higher ranking members of the pack had eaten their share and were basking and lounging in the sun, napping. Tuckered out, no doubt, from the kill and with full bellies. There was a couple of others grazing on what was left of the kill. We could see them very well, tearing of bits of the carcass. The ravens were everywhere. That's one easy way to spot a kill from the road. Look for flocks of ravens trying to get their share of a kill.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: