Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Colter Spells His Name

Now, don't let the title mislead you. Colter has been able to spell his first and last name, out loud, for almost a year. He can spell mom and dad out loud as well, and a very small handful of other words.
Colter and I were drawing with colored pencils tonight when I saw that he did a 1 and a 2 on the paper. WOW! He very rarely decides to draw a 2, usually only 1's. That was only the start. When I asked him to do a 3, he started a biiiiig circle, but stopped. He said it was a "C, like Colter." I asked him what comes after C, and he said O. I asked him to draw an O and he did! Then he drew an L! Then we ran out of paper! So I flipped the sheet over and asked him to try again. The first picture you see is of Colter's name in his very own little left-handed handwriting. I had to fiddle with the lighting settings so it would stand out more, he was using a very light blue pencil (our carpet is that dingy of a color for real). Starting at about the 9:00 position and going clockwise, we have C-O-L-T-E-R and a 2 that he added for extra gits and shiggles. Once he did that, I got him to draw Mom and Dad. He's known how to spell these for more than six months. Now he's WRITING them. And notice, he knows the difference between upper- and lower-case letters as well. He does the same thing on my laptop in Word--going between upper- and lower-case letters.

(don't forget - you can always click on any of the pictures here to make them bigger)
Posted by Picasa

No comments: